Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  29 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

What is the legal height for a stop sign. One side has a sidewalk,

What is the legal height for a stop sign. One side has a sidewalk, the other three are grass; I don't know if that makes a difference.
Expert:  Ray replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Here below is th law for stop signs in New Jersey.

New Jersey has passed the Federal Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (the "FMUTC") Under the FMUTC, stop signs in New Jersey must be placed as follows:

Section 2B.06 STOP Sign Placement
Standard:

The STOP sign shall be installed on the right side of the approach to which it applies. When the STOP sign is installed at this required location and the sign visibility is restricted, a Stop Ahead sign shall be installed in advance of the STOP sign.

The STOP sign shall be located as close as practical to the intersection it regulates, while optimizing its visibility to the road user it is intended to regulate.

STOP signs and YIELD signs shall not be mounted on the same post.

Guidance:
Other than a DO NOT ENTER sign, no sign should be mounted back-to-back with a STOP sign in a manner that obscures the shape of the STOP sign.

Stop lines, when used to supplement a STOP sign, should be located at the point where the road user should stop.

If only one STOP sign is installed on an approach, the STOP sign should not be placed on the far side of the intersection.

Where two roads intersect at an acute angle, the STOP sign should be positioned at an angle, or shielded, so that the legend is out of view of traffic to which it does not apply.

Where there is a marked crosswalk at the intersection, the STOP sign should be installed in advance of the crosswalk line nearest to the approaching traffic.

Option:
At wide-throat intersections or where two or more approach lanes of traffic exist on the signed approach, observance of the stop control may be improved by the installation of an additional STOP sign on the left side of the road and/or the use of a stop line. At channelized intersections, the additional STOP sign may be effectively placed on a channelizing island.

Standard:

Signs installed at the side of the road in rural districts shall be at least 1.5 m (5 ft), measured from the bottom of the sign to the near edge of the pavement.

Where parking or pedestrian movements occur, the clearance to the bottom of the sign shall be at least 2.1 m (7 ft).

Directional signs on freeways and expressways shall be installed with a minimum height of 2.1 m (7 ft). If a secondary sign is mounted below another sign, the major sign shall be installed at least 2.4 m (8 ft) and the secondary sign at least 1.5 m (5 ft) above the level of the pavement edge. All route signs, warning signs, and regulatory signs on freeways and expressways shall be at least 2.1 m (7 ft) above the level of the pavement edge.

Option:
The height to the bottom of a secondary sign mounted below another sign may be 0.3 m (1 ft) less than the height specified above.

Where signs are placed 9 m (30 ft) or more from the edge of the traveled way, the height to the bottom of such signs may be 1.5 m (5 ft) above the level of the pavement edge.

A route sign assembly consisting of a route sign and auxiliary signs (see Section 2D.27) may be treated as a single sign for the purposes of this Section.

The mounting height may be adjusted when supports are located near the edge of the right-of-way on a steep backslope.

Support:
Without this flexibility regarding steep backslopes, some agencies might decide to relocate the sign closer to the road, which might be less desirable.

Standard:
Overhead mounted signs shall provide a vertical clearance of not less than 5.2 m (17 ft) to the sign, light fixture, or sign bridge, over the entire width of the pavement and shoulders except where a lesser vertical clearance is used for the design of other structures.

Option:
If the vertical clearance of other structures is less than 4.9 m (16 ft), the vertical clearance to overhead sign structures or supports may be as low as 0.3 m (1 ft) higher than the vertical clearance of the other structures.

I believe that 5 feet here from ground to bottom of the sign is the portion you directly asked about here..
Ray, Lawyer
Experience: 29 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law