Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

Can I collect unemployment in the state of Alabama while recieving

Can I collect unemployment in the state of Alabama while recieving severance pay ?
Expert:  Sam replied 7 years ago.

you cant collect for the period that you received the servance pay - for instance, if you got the severance for the week after your left your job - you would not be able to claim that week as that would be considered earnings.

you should file for unemployment as soon as you become unemployed, but those weeks that the company paid you will not be included.

you must be able to work, available for work, willing to accept suitable work, actively seeking full time work, and be out of work due to no fault of your own for a claim to be postive

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Isn't severance considered a personal benefit from the company ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
More info. , please .
Expert:  Sam replied 7 years ago.

only if it is done in a package - for instance, if you are given a severance package which includes a lump sum payout - but if it is pay for two weeks notice, then no.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
hey, thx for your help. I have signed a release of claims, with no possibility of return, due to a reduction in workforce, if that helps. Any info. will be greatly appreciated.