LegalEase, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in Family law, Wills and Estate Planning

how can i lower my arrears I owe on child support

how can i lower my arrears I owe on child support?
Expert:  LegalEase replied 7 years ago.
You can attempt to negotiate a lower payment over a longer time, however, unless the spouse receiving the child support agrees to a lesser amount of arrearage, you will have to pay the entire amount.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was told that if I have a hardship and can prove it that some judges could lower they amount?
Expert:  LegalEase replied 7 years ago.
Depending on the individual judge, yes, they have the discretion to do that, but it is at their discretion. Judges look out for the best interest of the child. If you have a job now, then it will not matter if you were out of work while the arrears built up, the court will consider you able to pay.

That said, you can always negotiate with the family court, showing earing history, etc, to see if they will deny the motion to raise your child support.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am still in a hardship now and I am fighting Forecusure, should I try to file a motion to lower arreas?
Expert:  LegalEase replied 7 years ago.
You can try, yes. If she has filed a motion to modify childsupport, you can counter the motion and ask for it to be lowered. You should consult with an attorney, and if you cannot afford an attorney, contact your Legal Aid (Legal Services) office, as they may be able to provide you with no cost legal support.