Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

If my husband and I signed a prenup does it ever expire We

Customer Question

If my husband and I signed a prenup does it ever expire? We signed it after we got married and my house is in my name not his.. We signed it because of my house. We are not together anymore and he is threatning to take it from me. Can he do that with a prenup n place?
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

A sunset provision may be inserted into a prenuptial agreement, specifying that after a certain amount of time, the agreement will expire. In a few states, such as Maine, the agreement will automatically lapse after the birth of a child, unless the parties renew the agreement. In other states, a certain number of years of marriage will cause a prenuptial agreement to lapse.

In states that have adopted the UPAA (Uniform Premarital Agreement Act - Arizona, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and Wisconsin), no sunset provision is provided by statute, but one could be privately contracted for. Note that states have different versions of the UPAA.