JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.

my friend accused me of stealing stuff from his house and i

Customer Question

my friend accused me of stealing stuff from his house and i did not do it. i am still on probation and it ends in 2 weeks.
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

To better help you, could you please be more specific as to the question you would like to have answered?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i was living at the house for a few days, when i moved out my things i put whatever i could in my small car and my brother in law got everything else in his truck that i left in the garage and the first floor of the house. i got a call from the my friends brother who runs this rental house with roomates in it the next day saying that things were missing in the house, things like toothpaste, deoderant, other toiletries, and that if i was not to return them he was going to have me arrested for something i did not do nor did my brother, well he subsequently filed a police report stating that things were missing from the house...and a detective recently left a voicemail to speak with me on my cell phone, what should i do?
Thanks. You have no obligation to return the detective's phone call. You know how they say that "anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law"? Well, that's usually what happens in such meetings.

Disclaimer: I don't know the speciific detective assigned to your case. He may not be a jerk. But I do know this: it's their burden to prove a crime beyond a reasonable doubt. If they have enough evidence right now to file the charges, they can do it now. Don't give them the opportunity to strenghten their case by giving them statements that they'll twist and turn into admissions on you.

I would not fall for any ploy that they just want to get your side. Very seldom do they ever give folks like you the benefit of the doubt. Besides, if they suspect that you're less than truthful with them during the meeting, they could separately charge you with obstruction of justice.

No, sir, you have no obligation to return the call or meet with them. Do not discuss your situation with anyone. If they arrest you, do not speak to them. Lawyer up. Let your lawyer find out what evidence they claim they have to prove their case. Do not serve up your own butt to them.

I hope that you find this information to be useful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!