attySince1978, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for 30 years with over 500 arbitrations and trials representing over 2,000 clients.

me and my mother recently opened a local sports bar in the

me and my mother recently opened a local sports bar in the town we live in. my husband is a registered sex offender. the news media have blitzed the papers and news chanels with the Headings of wife of sex offender opens bar. My husband has no connection with the business. do i have any recourse in the court systems on these publications?
Expert:  attySince1978 replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately, trust is a complete defense to any such action by you.

I suggest that you immediately contact a public relations firm that is experienced in handling these types of business problems with the media. Many can turn the tables and actually use the media exposure your are getting because of your husband's sexual background.

Even though your husband has no connection with the business they media is attempting to use the negative information against you. As I said, you must take the media exposure and utilize it to your advantage. You can do this with PRESS RELEASES, etc. that can describe how successful you are despite the problems you had to deal with in the past.
You are therefore a strong independent woman that can be looked up to by other women that are trying to get back onto their feet due to a faulty past. Use the media exposure to your benefit. Do some local charitable work that contributes to battered women programs. Many other programs are available for you to contribute to and will make you look like a strong character in the eyes of public. I think that a lawsuit will only cloud the true facts of the case and could do more harm than good.

I trust that my answer is helpful to you, therefore please click ACCEPT after you have read my answer. No credit will be given for my work unless you accept may answer.
Also, a small bonus is allowable and greatly appreciated. Thank you.