How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Tina Your Own Question

Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33150
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

To whom it may concern. Ive been divorce for 5yrs. My ex-wife

Customer Question

To whom it may concern. I've been divorce for 5yrs. My ex-wife and i have joint custody of our children. I need to know what kind of lawyer i need to go back to court to have the right to file @ least one of my kid during tax season. Also we have a trailer together and she was suppose to get it refinanced to get my name off of it and she hasn't. In the divorce decree she is responsible for the trailer but @ the same time should'nt i b able to collect or she should pay me some of the money she is getting off the trailer? If my kids want to live with me and she doesn't want to give me custody of them what procedure i need to take?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for contacting us at JA for guidance.


You will need to look to the original divorce decree to find out exactly what each of you are responsible for. If your ex-wife has violated the decree in some way, you will need to file a motion for contempt in the court where your divorce and decree were entered. If your ex-wife has primary custody, she can claim the children on her tax return. If you have both moved, you may have the judgment registered where you live and file your motion in your local court.


It also appears that you are wanting to file a motion to modify the custody of your children. The court will consider many factors, amounting to the best interests of the children in determining who should have primary physical custody. If the children are in their teens, their desire to live with one parent over another does carry weight with the court, but is not the deciding factor.


If you need to locate an attorney in your area, a good place to begin is You will want to speak to a family law or divorce attorney and weigh your options based on his or her expertise with your local courts.


All the best to you in the coming new year!


Note: If I have answered your questions, please press the "accept" button so I will be paid for my time. I am available if you have follow-up questions or need clarification. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your expert advise. In the decree she has primary custody but @ the same time we have joint custody. Basically your telling me since she has primary custody then i cant file one of them even tho we have joint custody. Also in the divorce decree she is responsible for the house as well and as i stated she was suppose to refinance it to get my name off of it and she hasn't. Since my name is XXXXX XXXXX the house should"nt i be able to get compensation?
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.

You cannot claim them as dependents on your tax return if you do not have primary physical custody. I am sorry. Since your ex-wife appears to have violated the divorce decree by not refinancing the home, you may file a motion to hold her in contempt of the decree as I mentioned above. If granted, you may obtain any money damages you have incurred. Your attorney may argue that, in the alternative, since your ex-wife has not abided by the decree, you should receive any equity that has accrued in the home. This is a weaker argument than money damages however.


Take care.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.