Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Practing General Attorney,
5180018

I have bed bugs and let my land lord know. They want to set

I have bed bugs and let my land lord know. They want to set off "bombs" to kill them. I also found out that my neighbor upstairs had them and the complex "bombed" their aprtment a little while back. This is when I got the bed bugs. I have spent hundreds of dollars on doctor bills. I also have to get a new mattress. Shouldn't the complex have to pay for this as well as professional extermination instead of buying the bombs? They also did not give us notification of the infestation. Is this negligence? Thi has been a horrible experience that I have endured. I cant even get a good nights sleep. It has caused me to miss work also! What can i do? I live in Tampa, FL.
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 7 years ago.
Law only requires that the landlord take remedial measures to solve the problem and setting off bombs are legally sufficient if it gets rid of the bugs from your apartment. It does not amount to negligence. I understand this is a horrible situation to be in but unless the bombs dont work and your landlord refuses to take further steps then your stuck with the use of the bomb and most likely would not win on a negligence suit.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Would it not be proof that bombs do not work for the fact my neighbor above me was the one with the problem originally? The bugs will just spread to another apartment or just come right back.
No. If you do not have medical documentation the most likely the judge will deny your claim. Im just trying to warn you of what you will have to prove in court.