How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MStrisik Your Own Question
MStrisik , Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 288
Experience:  General practitioner; former litigator.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
MStrisik is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Needing advice in Texas Law. Father passed away, but brother

Resolved Question:

Needing advice in Texas Law. Father passed away, but brother told him athat if he did not deed over all of his land to him that Taxes & such would take it all...Dad was in terminal health, and deeded it to him. After Father's death we found out when trying to Probate the will, in finding the Deed has been reviewed by handwriting experts & they state it is a Forgery. Brother had POA and signatures apprear to be Forgery on that also. He then signed & was paid for Oil/Gas leases on the said property. What else do we need to do to prove the forgery, and that the Notary may have been in on this also, in regards XXXXX XXXXX Law, and in what court should we persue this matter?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  MStrisik replied 7 years ago.
Hi sheila,

Have you already been through the probate system? What is the current status of the estate of your father?

This will help me answer you.

M. Strisik, Esq.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

not probated.

We all thought it was to be probated. We drew up family divides, and took the will to an attorney...when he asked about property and I said he had the brother chimed in and said...oh, well he deeded it to me awhile back....the attorney flippantly said...well, it's yours son...I've got to go to court...please pay on your way out...

Then I began to research the matter & have gathered all the docuements...and my brother has even told me several times that he told daddy...."if you don't deed it over to me the taxes and doctors will get it all, and that he promised to take care of like daddy wanted".....

currently I am still gathering information on how much more I need to prove that my dad did not sign the deed over to my brother...I believe it was duress & that possiby my father was not even there..... Trying to figure out how much more evidence I'll need. I am feeling confident that my borther and his notary will probably say Dad signed it in front of her.

Expert:  MStrisik replied 7 years ago.

The party who can bring a suit is the party who has been damaged. As of now, only your father's estate has been damaged, so the executor or executrix could perhaps bring the suit. Otherwise, depending on the date of death of your father, it might be an action that you can bring on your own - as a person who should have recovered under the estate. This will have to be answered by a local TX practitioner.

I can tell you that if your claims are true, then you have the ability to initiate an action against your brother for economic duress and fraud (forgery).

The elements of duress are (1) a threat or action taken without legal justification; (2) the threat or action was of such a character as to destroy the other partys free agency; (3) the threat or action overcame the opposing partys free will and caused the party to do that which he or she would not otherwise have done and that which he or she was not legally bound to do; (4) the restraint was imminent; and (5) the opposing party had no present means of protection. Chapman Children=s Trust v. Porter & Hedges, L.L.P., 32 S.W. 3d 429, 443 (Tex. App.CHouston [14th Dist.] 2000, pet. denied). Economic duress may be claimed only when the party against whom it is claimed was responsible for claimants financial distress. Deer Creek Ltd v. North Amer. Mortg. Co., 792 S.W.2d 198, 203 (Tex. App.CDallas 1990, no writ).

The elements of fraud are: (1) a material misrepresentation was made; (2) the representation was false; (3) when the representation was made the speaker knew it was false or made it recklessly without any knowledge of the truth and as a positive assertion; (4) the speaker made the representation intending that the other party act upon it; (5) the party acted in reliance on the representation; and (6) the party thereby suffered injury. Formosa Plastics Corp. USA v. Presidio Eng=rs & Contractors, Inc., 960 S.W.2d 41, 47 (Tex. 1998).

Note that it is a crime for a notary to attest to a document that was not signed by the party who is representing to have signed the document. Your attorney will help bring this document into evidence properly.

Finally, your father's will itself will provide a great deal of help to a judge. The will shows your father's intentions. When we get in front of a judge about a person's estate - the judge will always look to see what the person's intentions were when they drafted their will.

Best of luck. Please accept and feel free to follow-up.

M. Strisik, Esq.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
if the signature is not my father's is that a criminal forgery case instead of a civil case? would it be better to turn that over to the authorities (district attorney) and let it be investigated under their jurisdiction?
Expert:  MStrisik replied 7 years ago.

Hi again sheila,


It would be to your benefit if the authorities could prove the forgery. This would help your fraud case; or, at the very least, it would work to void the transfer of the land to your brother. At the end of the day what we want here is everyone to rightfully share in your father's estate. Your brother strong-armed his way into an inheritance and it may have been against your father's wishes.


The authorities will be helpful. They will help your case.


M. Strisik, Esq.

MStrisik, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 288
Experience: General practitioner; former litigator.
MStrisik and 11 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions