MStrisik
MStrisik, Attorney
Experience:  General practitioner; former litigator.
14490991

I leased a 2009 Nissan VERSA, 6 DAYS AGO, BUT FAILED TO SIGN

I leased a 2009 Nissan VERSA, 6 DAYS AGO, BUT FAILED TO SIGN in both places. Dealer called me to come in & sign, but I found out that they failed to tell me there was a new Versa for $10,000, not the $18,000 car they sold me. I want to negotiate. Is this contract valid with only one signature or can I walk away from this deal? This happened in San Diego, Ca.
Expert:  MStrisik replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

When you say 'both' places, which document are you referring to? Reason I ask is that there are many documents that require signature when entering into a lease agreement.

M. Strisik, Esq.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

On a "Motor Vehicle Lease Agreement-California," I didn't sign section 28 "vehicle code waiver," which gives the holder of the lease the right to request my address from the DMV if required to enforce the lease.

Also, I am the only one to sign this lease; there is no signature for Guarantor or lessor.

Expert:  MStrisik replied 7 years ago.
ThanksCustomer

As I thought, the document you failed to sign does not invalidate the lease agreement. You might consider taking the document to a local attorney to get a practitioner's legal opinion; however, I can tell you from experience that one missing signature on this page will not break the deal.

I do think you can threaten to complain to the BBB about the sales practices of the company (this is if the less expensive car was available for you to purchase when you bought the more expensive one).

M. Strisik, Esq.