Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Practing General Attorney,

I have a 17 year old son with autism. As he will be turning

I have a 17 year old son with autism. As he will be turning 18 soon would it be in his best interest to be appointed his conservator in order to make medical decisions?
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 7 years ago.
Yes, you or his father should seek to be appointed his guardian/conservator so that he can continue to receive the protection and advise Im sure you have been giving him all these years. You can go to court and file the petition yourself or retain an attorney to do it for you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your assistance. If I choose to file the petition myself where do I start? What is the first step?
You should go to the court and seek a petition. They generally provide the petition along with general instructions. They will not give legal advises so if you have specific questions after submitting the petition you would need to speak with a local attorney or consult an expert someplace such as here on Just Answer.