Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

In September 2006 I was evicted from my rental property with

In September 2006 I was evicted from my rental property with the reason of murders and drug dealing which wasn't true it was a horrible rumor and proven in court. I couldn't believe it! I'd been there 6 years and didn't have a place to go nor the $ to start over so quick. Everything went to storage and I was forced to live in motels. I was refused rental on a trailer cause of eviction. Can I get any restitution for this. The truck rental was $600 alone, there are other situations that caused grief that haunt me today & probaly forever. Is is legal to scare someone and walk?
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your information. I am happy to assist you.

You appear to have an action for the tort of defamation.

Defamation generally consists of: (1) a false statement of fact about another; (2) an unprivileged publication of that statement to a third party; (3) some degree of fault, depending on the type of case; and (4) some harm or damage.

Libel is defamation by the printed word and slander is defamation by the spoken word.

Based upon your post only, you appear to meet all the criteria to establish a prima facie claim for defamation.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLAandNYLAWYER

Please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonus and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE