Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

Can I file a small claims claim outside of CA An incident

Customer Question

Can I file a small claims claim outside of CA? An incident happened while in TX. I decided to move back home to CA while waiting on investigator reports. I can now sue in small claims. I cannot make a trip out to TX because of financial reasons. But can I still file a claim? This guy ripped me of over $3000 and I need to get that back.
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

You can file your small claim action in Texas even though you are physically in California. However, either you or an attorney on your behalf will need to appear or the case will be dismissed.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a Happy New Year. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLAandNYLAWYER

Please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonus and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I just stated that I could not appear in court due to financial problems. Also, in small claims court, you are not allowed an attorney. I was ripped of $3000 and I cannot allow this person to get away with it.