socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

My wheelchair bound son is on SSI and Medicaid in Columbus,

Customer Question

My wheelchair bound son is on SSI and Medicaid in Columbus, Oh. My Florida son and I would really like to move him to Florida, so he can be near family. After about 5 years in a nursing home we finally got him into an apartment with an aide and a nurse making daily visits. What is the best way to handle this move, and is it possible? I'm not wealthy, but I can afford to help some.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Contact your county's department of human services and ask them what sort of priority your son would have for the same services were he moved to the county. The federal government pays for these services, but the county is obligated to disburse and it can pretty much make its own rules as long as it doesn't discriminate between recipients.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That's no help, and not worth $30.

First of all, you have no obligation to pay for any answer. That said, your facts don't provide much information with which to provide much of a response. I don't know what you're looking for. If you call the county and they decline to help because of A, B, C, etc., then that's when you start investigating whether you have a rationale to sue the county to force it to help.

But, until you know what that answer is, I can't give you any idea of how to respond.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
In Florida, the county Dep't of Health and Human Services does not handle these things. Please just refund my fee, and I will try to get help some other way.

As you wish...good luck to you.