Nancy Delain
Nancy Delain, Attorney
Experience:  Registered Patent Attorney (1/2005); Attorney at Law (1/2004); M.S., Tech Writing (5/1981)
12446316

I was pulled over, told to put my windows down, turn my car

I was pulled over, told to put my windows down, turn my car off, then told to hand the officer my keys. Then i was told to get out and i was searched, and they found drugs on me. The police report says I went into a suspected dealers house and that is why i was stopped and searched. Is this a legal stop and search?
Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

While we write back and forth, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

There can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break. If we are writing late at night, I may have to go to sleep and resume helping you the following morning.

By using this forum and/or clicking ACCEPT, you expressly acknowledge that any information I may give in response to your question in this forum does not constitute legal advice; there is no attorney-client relationship between us; and all questions and answers are visible to the whole world, including your opponent, and any information provided is therefore not confidential. Because of the public nature of this forum, by posting anything here you waive irrevocably any and all claim to confidentiality or privilege as to the content posted. Please post only that information that you are willing for your opponent to see and use against you if this matter goes to court. Any money you may give me in response to this posting (which may include both your agreed-on sum and any bonus payment) is a gift of gratitude, and is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, attorney's fees. For more information about your matter, you should consult with an attorney of your choice in a traditional face-to-face or telephonic meeting.

4th Amendment jurisprudence is incredibly convoluted; there are all sorts of carvings-out and potholes in this area of law. I strongly advise that you hire an attorney or ask the court to appoint one for you before the preliminary hearing.

The stop sounds like it may well have been a legal stop. If the police have probable cause, they can search (if the officer saw you leave a house that was independently suspected of being a drug dealer's house, that would likely provide that "probable cause" toehold) and, if they find something like illegal drugs, they can make a legal warrantless arrest.

If I have answered your question, please click on ACCEPT so I can receive credit for my answer. If you have constructive comments about my response to you, please click on the Feedback link above and leave feedback for me; if you are satisfied with my response, please leave positive feedback even if you don't leave a comment. Remember that you are leaving feedback for the quality of my help to you, not for Just Answer's policies or billings (I have no control over JA, especially not over their billing of customers; I just control what I have written). If questions linger, please hit REPLY to let me know how I can help you further.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do not believe the officer that pulled me over actually witnessed me entering and exiting the house, other officers watching the house saw me, does that make a difference? I will accept your reply if you can answer this question please
ANSWER DELETED
Thanks for accepting my answer. I'm posting this as an Info Request to prevent any accidental double payment (you can't accept an Info Request). You can certainly respond if you have another question about this, but you need not feel obligated to.

The officer who stopped you need not have been the witnessing officer. "The police" means the whole group of law enforcement officials. If "the police" saw you enter/leave (or if a police officer is undercover in that drug house and actually witnessed a transaction), then probable cause is likely to be established.

Hire that lawyer!!