Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I am theCustomerof 3 children. I am not employed

I am theCustomerof 3 children. I am not employed at the moment and receive nor do I want money for their care. What I need to know is this. The father of the kids records all incoming and outgoing phone calls from his home in Ozark, MO. regardless of whether he is home and on the line or not. No one in the family gave him permission to do this, nor can they stop him. Is it legal for him to do this? His wife earns a small amount of money caring for an invalid, she pays all of the bills, electric, phone, food, clothing etc... currently there are 5 children still living at home, not all are minors. I am taking care of 3 right now in Colorado, I did have a 4th but she recently married.
Both CO and MO are one party consent states, meaning that only one party to the conversation needs to consent to the recording of the calls. However, this does not give him the right to record the calls where he is not the party and if he is not the party in the call and none of the parties to the call consent, then you need to file a complaint with the DA in MO.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.