Experience:  Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts

I was on a typical medical leave from 12 weeks. Upon requesting

Customer Question

I was on a typical medical leave from 12 weeks. Upon requesting a leave from my administrator, I was asked why it was necessary. I then replied that it was medical and I did not want to surrender this information at that time. I was asked two more times, and after the third I was told that I needed to furnish this information in order to complete the request. Reluctantly, I provided my Administrator with the medical reason, but not before I explicitly stated that I want this information kept private and not make anyone else aware. On the first day back from my leave, which is today, I was asked by at least 6 employees', how my operation was and relating directly to the cause for my leave. The only employees' aware of the reason for the leave, were my boss "The Administrator" and the director of Human Resources, to whom I also requested privacy. I felt very uncomfortable returning to work today and feel violated mto the extent that everyone at this facility is now aware of my condition.
Expert:  LADYLAWYER replied 7 years ago.

What a terrible thing to have happen to you. If you explicitly asked these people to keep this information private, I believe you had an expectation to this right of privacy. You could sue these individuals and the company under the theory of vicarious liability, but that may create a very tense work environment for you. However, this is what your remedy is under the law.

Please click accept so I know that you have received my answer and so I can get credit for helping you. You can always come back and ask additional follow-up questions at no additional charge. Thank you.