Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

hi i just got a citation for child neglect for leaving my son

Customer Question

hi i just got a citation for child neglect for leaving my son in the car wile i went in the store real quick what do i need to do to so i wont loose my son and do jail time
Expert:  Sam replied 7 years ago.

hi

well, you wont go to jail - but i am sure that the department of child and family services will be making a visit to your home to see how things are and if the child is safe in the home - this is routine after such a charge

if the child was not injured, you will more than likely be placed on some type of probation - but it is a serious matter and you should also consider consulting with a local lawyer before your court date - so that negoiations with the prosecutor can begin

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

what if you dont have a lot of money and cat affored a lawyer then waht do i do

Expert:  Sam replied 7 years ago.

hi

you should contact the Utah Bar Association and see if they can refer you to an attorney who might work with you pro bono - use this link for that contact information

if that fails, then when you go to court on your arraignment tell the judge you would like to apply for a public defender