Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

how do you know if someone is in violation of trying to extort

how do you know if someone is in violation of trying to extort you? I had an extramarital affair with a woman who wrote me an email telling me that she wants me to pay her $3500 because she didn't charge me for her time. I think this is extortion.
Expert:  Sam replied 7 years ago.

if you have been threatened that the affair will be revealed if no payment, then you are being extorted

as scary and painful as it might be, you should consider reporting her threats to the police because if you pay her she will want more. and if you dont pay, you run the risk of your spouse being told

so if you tell the police and report the extortion then at least it will all come to an end - and she will be charged

you can also tell her that you are not paying her and if she contacts you again you will go to the police - i suggest you do not put this in an email, but rather face to face or on the phone

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is there a way to get an order against her in court so that she cannot contact my family or friends. If so what do I ask the police for?