CA Lawyer
CA Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in Colorado and California and have been practicing law for over 10 years.

I have been living in an Apartment for two years now in Colorado.

Customer Question

I have been living in an Apartment for two years now in Colorado. I have never gotten a power bill for the power I use. I had assumed that the power was covered in my rent. Now, after 2 years of living there I recently got notice that my power was going to be shut off. Am I liable for the back power bills, even if I never recieved them?
Expert:  CA Lawyer replied 7 years ago.
Hi Dan. What does your lease say? In most cases, the tenant is liable for utilties. In this case, however, if the landlord has been paying the utilities and you thought this was part of the lease terms, you may have a good reason to break the lease, if that is what you want to do. For now, in order to avoid having your power shut off, however, I would recommend you pay the bill and then discuss with the landlord.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Utilties are not covered under the lease, I was only under that impression because I had never gotten a power bill. I am confused how ever, how Excel can wait two years to notice that I have been using power and no one has been paying it. I have no recieved an actual bill from Excel, but they left a notice on my door saying that my power will be shut off, no perticular date on the notice, and the rest was left blank. It does not say how much I would have to pay to keep the power on. My concern is that I am soon going to get a large bill in the mail for the past 2 years of power that no one has been paying, even though I was never contacted by them about paying for power.
Expert:  CA Lawyer replied 7 years ago.

This is disconcerting. I would first call Excel and find out how much they think you owe and get a history of the payments. Once you have this information, please let me know and we can take it from there,