MStrisik, Attorney
Experience:  General practitioner; former litigator.

can my electric company shut off my electric on a cold nig

Customer Question

can my electric company shut off my electric on a cold night?
Expert:  MStrisik replied 7 years ago.

Has this happened to you? What is the company's reason for shut-off?

M. Strisik, Esq.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

not yet. my bill is late because my husband lost his job in june & i was laid off in oct. we have 5 kids 3-15. i asked for an extension till mon when an organization can pay it for me but they will only give me till fri morning. if there is a law stopping this from happening in cold weather please tell me that statute number i can quote to them.

thank you so very much.

God Bless-

Expert:  MStrisik replied 7 years ago.

Hi mel,

Florida has no seasonal protections for utility shut-off.

The electric utilities regulated by the Florida Public Service Commission (Florida Power & Light Co., Florida Public Utilities Company, Progress Energy Florida, Inc., Tampa Electric Co., and Gulf Power Company) do, however, have identical tariffs that define how the companies will address the matter of a customer who needs "continuously operating electric-powered medical equipment necessary to sustain the life of or avoid serious medical complications requiring immediate hospitalization of the customer or another permanent resident at the service address and has not paid his electric bill.

Unless you are part of the "medically essential electric service" program, the company can shut-off the electric without notice. Perhaps if anyone in your household has a medical condition, you can apply to the utlitity company for assistance.

The law is Rule 25-6.097(3) of the Florida Administrative Code.

I hope this helps. If I can be of further assistance, pleaset let me know.

M. Strisik, Esq.