JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

I have a judgement against a person who owes me money. How

Customer Question

I have a judgement against a person who owes me money. How do I find out where she banks, so that the Courts can go into her checking account and withdraw the money. This person also scammed two other people. She owes one person $8,500.00 and theother person over $6,000.00.
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 5 years ago.
What is the name of the court where you have your judgment?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The Court is Superior Court of New Jersery - Law Division - Burlington County, New Jersey

Order of Disposition -

Filed with the Court 9/30/2008

John E. Harrington, J.S.C. - signed the judjument Docket # XXXXX

Thank you. How much is your judgment for? Was this handled in the small claims division?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, it was handled in Small Claims. The judgement is for $1,321.75.

If I can find out where this woman works or what bank she uses, the courts will go right into her account and will withdraw the money.

I have the woman's Social Security #, place of residence, driver's license number. Is there any place that I can go to get a credit report on her. That should indicate where sheis working.

What you can do is check out page 4 of the attached link: http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/prose/10282_collect_money_jdgmnt.pdf

The relevant text says:
Information Subpoena
If you do not know where the judgment debtor has a savings or checking account, what personal property the debtor owns, or where the debtor works, you may obtain an information subpoena from the Office of the Special Civil Part Clerk. An information subpoena is a court paper containing a written set of questions about the debtor's assets.
You may serve an original and one copy of an information subpoena upon the debtor either personally or by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, and simultaneously by regular mail. You also must provide a postage-paid, self-addressed envelope with the information subpoena. The debtor must answer and return the information subpoena to you within 14 days from the date on which it was served. An information subpoena cannot be served more than once in a six month period without approval of the court. If the debtor does not answer the information subpoena, he or she is subject to contempt sanctions enforceable by the court.
If the debtor has not fully answered this information subpoena within 21 days from the date on which it was served, you may make an application supported by a certification to the court for an order allowing you to serve a separate information subpoena upon banking institutions, employers or businesses who owe money to the debtor. If the court signs the order, this information subpoena may also be obtained from the office of the Special Civil Part. You may then serve an original and one copy of this information subpoena either personally or by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, and simultaneously by regular mail. You must also provide a postage-paid, self-addressed envelope. If a party upon whom this information subpoena is served does not provide written answers within 14 days from the date it was served, they are subject to sanctions enforceable by the court.

Another fantastic information kit for you is found at:
http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/prose/10546.pdf

Other general information can be found at:
http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/prose/index.htm#civil

I hop this is of help to you. Best wishes! It's always a challenge in collecting a judgment but if you take the time to review this information, the court clerks will help you along the way. They can't give you legal advice, but they will show you the forms so that you don't fall between the cracks Smiletitle="Smile"/>
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience: Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. I appreciate the time that you took to respond, however, I am aware of the information that you sent me.

My question is how would I get a credit statement showing me where she works. This is a woman who will not respond to any certified mail. This woman writes her own briefs and is fully aware of the court system and procedure. The only way that I will get my money is to find out where she banks and then request the courts to go after the money.

This woman is very slick and knows how to play the system.

Very good. What happened when you served her with an information subpoena?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

serve her with the information subpoena. I served her with the small claims. I sent certified mail to her home address AND the place that she WAS working. She ignored both.

She didn't even show up for the court date.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Where are you located?

Are you an attorney or Para Legal?

Did you also send it via regular mail, per the instructions?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I sent the notices certified and regular mail. I sent them to her work place and to her home.

She owes one person $8,500.00. She owes over $6,000.00 to another person. They both did not know where she lived. I gave them the home address.

She is a low life who takes advantage of people's good nature. I also gave her designer suits because I felt badly for her. She tells you a horribly sad story and hopes to connect with the kindness in a person's heart. Then WHAM! - she get you.

As I mentioned before, she knows the court system. She even writes her own briefs. At least that is what she told me.

I have taken so much time and effort to find out where she lives. If I have to get up early in the morning and drive down to where she lives, follow her to work, I will do it. I asked my husband to drive down with me. She lives about 40 minutes from where I live.

By the way, my son lives in Michigan. He used to cook on the morning show. I think it was Channel 8. Not sure exactly.

If the debtor does not answer the information subpoena, he or she is subject to contempt sanctions enforceable by the court.

Have you asked the court clerks for the paperwork to request a bench warrant for her arrest for not appearing on the information subpoena?

The judge could (maybe) set the bond in an amount equal to the amount of the judgment. This way, if she gets stopped by the police for speeding or zipping through a red light, they could arrest her on the spot and she could only get out if she posted the bond which (surprise, is equal to the amount of money that she owes you).

BTW, does she live in NJ, too?