VanDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  General Practice, Wills, Probate, Family, Bankruptcy

I am in Texas. I have an account with a bank that levied my

I am in Texas. I have an account with a bank that levied my checking account per the state comptrollers office. The comptrollers office made a mistake and rescinded the levy. The bank charged me which I suppose was right but never sent me notification. can you tell me who can levy and for what reason, what recourse a banking customer has? What is the difference between levy and judgement in this state?
Expert:  VanDLaw replied 7 years ago.

Any creditor who has been given a Judgment against you in a Court of law, can levy your bank account. A levy is one way a writ of judgment can be enforced to collect a debt until it is paid in full.

A judgment is the Court order that gives the Plaintiff/Creditor the power to levy (attach) the Defendant/Debtor's bank account. There can also be a levy against wages, but in Texas this is not allowed.

If there is a judgment against you, there really is no recourse to stop the levy.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a joint account with my daughter, can her paycheck be levied? my only "wages" is my ss and ssi checks