Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

My wife has a 21000 dollar judgement against her. She is ordered

My wife has a 21000 dollar judgement against her. She is ordered to appear in court concerning property she has. She is ordered not to dispose of her non-exempt property pending the hearing. Our home is worth less than what we owe. Can they take items belonging to me or both of us etc?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
If the debt is a marital debt (one accrued during the existence of the marriage) then they can seek the assets of both you and her. Generally, the creditor cannot take a homestead, especially if the amount owed is greater than the debt. What they can do is seek to seize bank accounts and garnish wages to satisfy the debt. You should consider the possibility of bankruptcy to exitinguish the debt and this would also allow you to protect your home as well.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.