Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

What are the legal rights of a grandparent

What are the legal rights of a grandparent?
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your question Carol.

Your son has the right to ask for visitation. So if there are no visitation orders in place, dad should request visitation formally at court. If he has visitation rights, the guardians would need to comply with those visitation orders or be subject to contempt of court.

As to grandparent rights. Grandparents do not have any automatic legal rights unless the court gives them a court order for visitation. So unless the court has given you a court order, the legal guardians have the say on when, how and who can have visitation. In Indiana grandparents can petition the court for visitation when the child was born out of wedlock. Visitation orders may be worked out to include terms for holiday visitation and overnights. But to get this in place a court petition would be filed at court.

You can access the Indiana statutes here regarding this issue.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. The only way that I am legally responsible for your legal rights is if you have signed a written retainer agreement with my law firm. No part of this disclaimer can be reproduced without the consent of the owner. Thank you.