Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

How can I file a restraining order against my daughter-in-law

How can I file a restraining order against my daughter-in-law? She left my son and keeps harrassing us with phone calls, screaming and demanding money from us.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
You can do several things. If she is making harassing telephone communications, then you can call the police and file a criminal complaint against her and when the matter goes to court you can ask for the restraining order as part of that proceeding. Also, you can go to the clerk of the court where she lives and speak to the clerk about filing a restraining order and the clerk will give you a form to file and she will be served and you will have a hearing and get to explain the situation to the judge who will then decide whether or not to make the order permanent.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.