Christy, Attorney
Experience:  Former General Counsel for nationwide corporation. Contracts, rental properties, business law.

what happens if you were involved in an accident that was your

what happens if you were involved in an accident that was your fault and you had no insurance?
Expert:  Christy replied 7 years ago.
What state are you in?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
North Carolina
Expert:  Christy replied 7 years ago.

In North Carolina, if you are issued a ticket, you could face fines, loss of your drivers license, or some points against your driving record. There is absolutely no jail time involved. If your record is otherwise pretty clean, if you are ticketed at all, you will most likely receive a fine and a date by which you will have to show proof of insurance.

If the other driver's car was damaged, their insurance may sue you for the cost of the damage. Additionally, the other driver might sue you for the deductible, out of pocket expenses incurred by the driver. Again, no jail time is possible, just money judgments.

If I have answered your question, please click Accept. I am happy to answer follow-up questions if you need clarification.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So if I didn't get a ticket already, when will they ticket me?
Expert:  Christy replied 7 years ago.
If they haven't already, you most likely won't get one.