Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

hi, what if, any legal, legal protections are afforded to

hi, what if, any legal, legal protections are afforded to someone with type 1 diabetes in ri?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
You are protected by the Family Medical Leave Act which allows you to take a certain amount of unpaid leave per year for serious health conditions. In addition, you would also potentially be covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act if your condition either created a disability or was perceived as creating a disability. The ADA allows you to request, and your employer must provide, "reasonable accomodations" to allow you to perform the essential elements of your job. In addition, an employer is not allowed to discriminate against you because of your disability or perceived disability.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

A clarification....I assume disability is limited to wheel chairs etc. versus requiring insulin and a glucose meter be handy essentially all the time,

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
"Disability" is defined very loosely. If the condition substantially affects one or more activities of daily living then it is considered a disability. It is a very fact specific situation, but in some cases diabetes has been found to be a disability in the past.