VanDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  General Practice, Wills, Probate, Family, Bankruptcy

I am a small business owner and dealer for an internet service

I am a small business owner and dealer for an internet service provider.I have a customer taking me to small claims court because his system did not work for his application.His contract is with the provider and not with me.Do I need to have a lawyer with me on the day of the court?Should I counter for wages lost due to having to appear?
Expert:  VanDLaw replied 7 years ago.

It is always good to consult an attorney any time you are a party to a lawsuit. The attorney can advise you, and work on your behalf. If the Court finds that you are not part of the contract and therefore not a proper party for the lawsuit, the Plaintiff could end up having to pay your attorney's fees, and costs. This has to be properly plead, or presented before the Court. So if the money is the issue, you could be investing in an attorney up front only to have it save you lots of time, money and aggravation later on.

Of course you are not requird to have an attorney present and can represent yourself.