Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

My family had moved out of our home into a rental because we

My family had moved out of our home into a rental because we were going into foreclosure & the mortgage company wasn't working with us. We signed a year lease with an individual (which I threw my copy away & can't get one from him yet~asked 3 times). We lived there for 6 months & found out we were approved for a workout. So I called the person I was renting from on Oct 24th & told him we would be out by the end of October. He said he needed to ask the person who owned the house what he wanted to do, Tim (the middle man) said he normally gets the renter to pay until it is rented. He didn't call me back (like he said he would to let me know what Ryan~owner~ wanted to do) until Nov. 13th & said Ryan was coming to sue me. I told him when I ran into him that we could possible pay 1/2 one check & rest another. I'm only one working with 3 kids. It hasn't worked out that way yet. What can happen to us if he does sue us? Are we required to pay the full amount of the lease? Options in SC?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
You will be responsible for the amount of the lease until the unit is rented out or until the end of the term of the lease, whichever occurs first. If he sues you he is likely to get a judgment for the amount of the lease as well as attorney's fees, if any, and costs.

After the landlord obtains a judgment he can begin collection procedures including garnishment of bank accounts, etc.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can they garnish wages in South Carolina for this? Is it best if I just pay the amount for the one month(because it is rented) and get on with life?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
They can't garnish wages "paid for personal services", but it probably isn't worth the hassle of being sued, etc. over one months worth of rent.