Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

what are the statue of limitations in PA for stalking? what

Customer Question

what are the statue of limitations in PA for stalking?

what is considered harassment in NJ? Would 24 hour unwanted & unecessary text msgs or hidden slanderous, libel filled letters placed in my childs bag be considered harassment in NJ?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
The PA criminal statute of limitations is 2 years for a misdemeanor and 5 for a felony, thus you still have time to make a complaint over the stalking that occurred there.

The conduct you describe in NJ would not only be telephone harassment. Also, if you are afraid of him then you should get a restraining order against him as well and can request it if they charge him with the telephone harassment.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello. You wrote, "The PA criminal statute of limitations is 2 years for a misdemeanor and 5 for a felony, thus you still have time to make a complaint over the stalking that occurred there." My current question is that I now live in NJ, do I file the complaint for stalking in PA? Also, when I lived in PA and he in NJ, I found out by accident that he would record our conversations without telling me. Because PA is a two party notification state, since he lived in NJ and would call me in PA, could I file a complaint for this as well? Thank you.
If the stalking happened in PA that is where you file your complaint. If he called you in PA and recorded your conversations, it is illegal there and you would file your complaint there. It does not matter that he was calling from NJ, he needs to follow the law in PA since that is where you were at the time. You can indeed file a complaint with the commonwealth attorney for the illegal recording.