Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Practing General Attorney,

I had repairs done to my RV at a dealer and they took almost

I had repairs done to my RV at a dealer and they took almost one year to complete these repairs. I could not use the RV this whole time but had to continue making payments. Repairs should have taken no more than 3 months. Now they will not adjust the bill and are threatening to sell my RV at auction if I dont pay them within the next 3 weeks. What recourse do I have to force them to adjust the bill for the ridiculous length of time fixing the unit?
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately if the contract didn't state a due date, then the time limit is a reasonable amount of time. This become discretionary to each judge. Some judges would say you could have asked to have your RV returned and sent to another dealer. Some judges will state that the dealer was in the best position to make the repair and could have done so in far less time. What I'm trying to say is that there is no set law in this area. I would suggest that you pay the bill by check and in the memo section write: "payment made under protest due to repair time". Then sue the dealer. Since you paid under protest you have preserved your claim to sue in the future and it prevents the dealer from attempting to place a lien and sell your RV.