Steinlaw, Attorney
Experience:  8+ years as an insurance adjuster, 7+ years as a personal injury and consumer law attorney

What is your recommendation about when a former co-worker states

What is your recommendation about when a former co-worker states in print and in spoken terms that you have done something wrong at your work-place and that you were "let go" when this is false? The person wroe this in a report that went out to other companies as well as other research sites that our company was involved with. I was not "let go: but laid off and I didn't do anything wrong at my workplace. But this was stated in writing to not only these companies but the Institutional Review Board where I potentially could have studies reviewed as well as MD's I work with closely in the clinical seting.
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question and I look forward to assisting you. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you have put all of the information in your question. Also, due to site reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. Also, there may be future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. That being said...

My recommendation: have an attorney send a letter to your former co-worker and your former employer demanding that these statements be retracted immediately and that if they do not retract the statements, you will sue them. That should get everyone's attention. If they do not retract the statements, you sue them for libel and interference with prospective economic advantage.

Good luck.

Legal Disclaimer. By requesting this information, you expressly agree to the following: The information given is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. The nominal price you may or may not pay for information does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship. The only method of gaining an attorney/client relationship with me is via a retainer and signed fee agreement, which is not offered via this site. I am providing only resources, opinion and information for you to be informed and educated about your particular rights and needs. My answer is limited to the facts presented with the understanding that you will do your proper due diligence and appropriate follow up with an attorney licensed in your state. I do not provide general or specific legal advice on this site. I also am licensed to practice only in California, which may not be the state where this information is being provided or state whose law would apply, if any. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites.