Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses

Can I sue my soon to be ex-husband for money I paid to the

Can I sue my soon to be ex-husband for money I paid to the home mortage while we were living together even though my name was never put on the deed?
This should be part of your divorce action and raised by your matrimonial attorney in figuring out settlement on issues of alimony.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
According to the attny.s I spoke with prior to my husband submitting the divorce papers to the court, I was told that because we were married for just one year I would not be awarded alimony. However, we were living together prior to the marriage and I have been contributing to the home mortgages for the last year and 1/2. Because I am leaving the marriage with no assets I am wondering if I can recover damages for the money I paid towards the mortgage during the time we were living together.
You can sue for it on the theory of unjust enrichment and breach of agreement (albeit nothing in writing) A court may equate it with rent payments and find that absent something in writing and no title in your name, that you are not entitled to it. The pressure and presence of an attorney may help secure a settlement and avoid the courts. Kindly accept my answer.