Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses

Can a landlord take me to court if I never lived in their space

Can a landlord take me to court if I never lived in their space and I never signed a lease, if I didn't pay rent? I was originally going to move in but something came up so I offered to pay the rent and have the space saved for me... but they never sent me a lease and I was nervous to just pay them money. It just seems very unprofessional. What defense can I use, if any?
If you never signed a lease and never entered the premises as a tenant, landlord has no basis for seeking rent from you. that is your defense.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are there any other points I can use?

I'm sorry, I'm just so nervous and flustered... I know they are going to be furious with me and I'm not great with conflict, so I just want to be able to defend myself the best I can.

Lack of privity of contract

No lease

no possession

frivolous conduct by landlord