Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Practing General Attorney,

I received a letter saying that I won125,000 dollars from north

I received a letter saying that I won125,000 dollars from north american sweeptakes. They sent me a check for 4,980 and said when the check clears the bank to call them back and they will give instructions on where to send 3,980 for the tax on the 125,000. I checked the bank the check was drawn on its a real account and the funds are there. but the better business says knoone who has ever responded to the letter ever received any winnings. And the compan distributingthe money refused to answer the bbb questions. I dont know hat to do.
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 7 years ago.
Make certain the check has clear by waiting two weeks or 14 business days to make sure there are no problems. It is possible although I would agree with the BBB. If they request that you send the money do not wire the money out of your account but rather create a separate (new account at a different bank) and wire the funds that way so you do not expose your account to any unauthorized debits and if they do something to affect the new account there will not be anyother funds they can take out.