Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

It says you have 180 to file a racial harassment lawsuit and

It says you have 180 to file a racial harassment lawsuit and I did it within the timeframe for most of the accusations. Does that mena the things that happened in the first couple of years don't count? Only the current things, even though it was on-going?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
If it is shown to have been an ongoing occurrance of discrimination, then all of the incidents will be considered as part of the whole event, even though the opposing counsel will seek to exclude those incidents that occurred prior to the statute of limitation.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I think that the answer was to vague. Really don't agree with it.
Look at the vague question you asked and you complain my answer was too vague?

the continuing violations doctrine rests on the assumption that if alleged discrimination is part of a “continuing pattern of discrimination,” then the plaintiff should be allowed to bring the claim based on the entire pattern of conduct, not just those acts occurring within the filing period. National Railroad Passenger Corp. v. Morgan.

The Supreme Court held that on conduct outside the charge-filing period, so long as at least one event constituting the hostile work environment occurred during the charge-filing period, predicating its distinction between the two situations on its characterization of a hostile work environment claim as “a single unlawful employment practice.”

Hostile environment claims are different in kind from discrete acts. Many circuits, including the Tenth, had limited the reach of the continuing violations doctrine in cases where the plaintiff knew he had a cause of action, but even then delayed filing. The Supreme Court expressly rejected this test in the context of a hostile work environment claim.

“In order for the charge to be timely, the employee need only file a charge within 180 or 300 days of any act that is part of the hostile work environment.” For an act to be part of a hostile work environment the act need only “contribut[e]” to the hostile work environment. Id.

Under Morgan discrete act claims are considered “different in kind” from hostile work environment claims such that the filing period for such claims can be extended only through equitable doctrines such as tolling. But, hostile environment claims can be based upon acts outside of the statute of limitations period.