skelly151
skelly151, Lawyer
Experience:  Litigation specialist, Probate and Estate law, Collection law, contract disputes, builder issues
8748477

Is it illegal to become a Lord in another country while maintaining

Is it illegal to become a Lord in another country while maintaining my U.S. Citizenship? Does the government frown upon or take action against this. (
Being designated a lord or duke is a non citizenship related matter and therefore the American government would not care. Women marrying counts maintain their citizenship but become countesses. The only exception is if becoming a Lord has a prerequisite citizenship of the host country. If that is the case you could seek dual citizenship so as to keep your us citizenship.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
(Wow... Fast answer, Thank you.) Citizenship is not required. Can you explain what the title entails, if anything, or is that up to the host country. Also, will my country recognize my title. And lastly, can I, as a Lord of the host country, be held in any financial or legal responsibility for the actions of that country? (I don't want to end up owing taxes or doing jail time because I signed to become a lord.)

It is up to the host country but it sounds by its nature to be an empty title with no real job duties. The country will let you know the rights and obligations and honestly I dont know what Sealand requires or frankly where it even is. You will want to ask these questions before you accept this bestowed upon title...

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok, lastly and then I'll accept... Will America recognize this title? i.e. on my passport will it say "Lord Nations"....?
No those designations do not appear on passports. Just the legal name with no surnames other than your legal moniker.