Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Experience:  General practice experience in many areas of law

My lease expired July 2007 , Ive been month-to-month since

Customer Question

My lease expired July 2007 , I've been month-to-month since that date, I recieved that lease is not being renewed and that I have until 12/31/08 to vacate what happens if I am able to vacate on that date
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 7 years ago.
If your lease expired in November 2007, it will no longer control, unless there is language in it that if you continue on a month to month basis, the other terms of the lease will continue. If you are unable to vacate by that date, your landlord will be able to bring eviction proceedings against you. If the landlord wins the eviction proceedings, you must vacate, and if you don't, you and your belongings can be physically moved out.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I read that there is an area on my lease that will tell me that if I respond to my landlord with written notice to vacate at a later date I could do this if my rent is up to date

No. If your lease has expired, and you are on a month to month tenancy, the tenancy terminates at the end of each month. Each month is a new lease term, and your landlord can terminate it at the end of each month.