Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Practing General Attorney,
5180018

What is a UCC-1 financing statement used for Can you file

What is a UCC-1 financing statement used for? Can you file this yourself? Where do you file it? Against whom can you file a UCC-1 financing statement?
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 5 years ago.
<p>File the UCC1 financing statements involving an organization in the Secretary of State's in the state where the corporation was domiciled. If the debtor is an individual in the Secretary of State's office where the individual resides.</p><p>A UCC-1 Financing Statement is a type of lien that secures a creditor.</p><p>Many equipment lease companies use a UCC-1 that specifies a machine as collateral. If the debtor defaults on payment, the UCC-1 allows the equipment lease company to repossess the machine. It is typical for banks to use blanket UCC-1s to secure lines of credit, designating the debtor's assets as collateral, and International Trade Finance utilizes the same.</p><p>A filed financing statement is effective for a period of five years from the date of filing. It will lapse upon the expiration of the five-year period unless a continuation statement is filed prior to the lapse date. Continuation statements may be filed within six months prior to the expiration of the five-year lapse period.</p><p> </p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you break this down in understandable terms? Is this only used for companies or can an individual person file a UCC-1? The other part of my question was, can this be used if you owe a debtor and want to secure a lien against the property that you owe them on?
It's my understanding from research that is applies to corporations/businesses and not individuals. You can use it to secure the lien if you're a company.
Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD)
Experience: Practing General Attorney,