Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

can an attorney obtain text message transcripts from your cell

can an attorney obtain text message transcripts from your cell phone provider
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
In my past experience, text message transcripts are not kept or recorded by most cell companies, all they have is a record of numbers called or the record of the numbers to which a text message was sent, but not the contents of the message. To obtain the records a subpoena must be issued for the information. When issuing the subpoena you would ask for the contents of the messages, but because of storage reasons if the companies have them they do not hold them for very long.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

This does not create any attorney-client relationship. Additionally, this is being provided for informational and instructional purposes only and does not constitute the practice of law in any jurisdiction.