Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

My son received an MIP in Lincoln, Nebraska a few weeks ago.

Customer Question

My son received an MIP in Lincoln, Nebraska a few weeks ago. He is scheduled to appear in court on December 10. He attends college in Kansas, we are in California and don't know how to help him. The officer did not put his breathalizer score on the ticket. Should he appear and plead not guilty or just plead guilty? If so, how long does it stay on his record? Always? Will it affect his driving record? How?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
A first offense MIP charge in NE is a misdemeanor punishable by up to a $500 fine and up to 3 months in jail. Generally, on a first offense he can get a deferred sentence, which usually includes a lower fine than the $500 (many times about $150) and a substance abuse class that he must pay to attend (usually about $75) and some community service. Generally, upon completion of the deferred sentence the charge is dismissed and expunged or able to be expunged. If he fights the charge, he would not likely go to jail, but the fine and penalty could be quite a bit higher and harder to have removed from his record. He may do best hiring an attorney in Lincoln that deals with the college there, since they make deals on these cases all of the time and can usually get him a better deal.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

This does not create any attorney-client relationship. Additionally, this is being provided for informational and instructional purposes only and does not constitute the practice of law in any jurisdiction.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You didn't repond to his record. Do you know if it will stay on his record and for how long?
Sorry, it will not go on his driving record unless he was driving when cited, but it is a misdemeanor charge and it remains on his record until he has it removed. If he was driving at the time he was cited, it would remain on his driving record until he turns 21 and he could face license suspension for up to 1 year.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He was not driving. He didn't even had a drink in his hand. In Nebraska your body is considered an open container, I guess. He was walking out of a bar. They breathalized him 3 or 4 times, did not put it on the ticket, but did say he had to appear in court, (knowing his DL was from California?). How does he have it removed? If it is by community service or classes, how can he do that from another state?
He can make arrangements to perform any service or attend classes in the state where he resides. If they never found him actually in possession and did not note any alcohol result on the citation, then he has a good chance of beating the charge if he wants to pursue it since they need to prove beyond a doubt he was in possession or had consumed alcohol. Even moreso he should hire a lawyer to work on this for him.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks! You are awesome. He will be getting a lawyer now for sure. We wanted to make sure because we are going to have to fly out there to rent a car (he doesn't have one, he is a freshman), and then drive to Lincoln! UGH! And, it is finals week! Looks like it will be a small Christmas for him this year; and he will definitely have to find a job or two this summer!

I will definitely let my friends know about your service!

Well, with it being finals week, and it would be easier if he had an attorney in NE, the attorney could likely get the matter postponed until after finals so he does not have to leave his studies. Hopefully he has learned a valueable lesson from this experience.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

He hasn't had a drink since, I should have him count the days! Time to grow up.

Thanks again!

It happens to EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM, just ask me, I have 2 and they all learn the hard way.