LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience:  Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts
7887522

I own a small independent record label in VA. I signed an artist

I own a small independent record label in VA. I signed an artist and produced and professional recorded a mastered cd for sale. This project was completed on May 2,2008. On May 4,2008 we had a concert which my artist promoted at his home church. We were successful selling 162 cd's   at this show. At the end of the show this artist as given 30% of the sales and my label kept 70% as the contract between us states. After this concert we had about two other shows with poor sales. He took 100 cd's shrinkwrapped with barcodes to these shows , and stated he sold them however never gave the company their 70%. At this point this artist became became very discourage and by June 20 completed bailed out on the project. Until November 14,2008 we did not have any contact after attempting to reach him several times. He now states he wants out of his contract, and we as a company have spent over $12,000.00 recording and promoting this project. Where should we go from here.
Expert:  LADYLAWYER replied 6 years ago.

If your contract states that you have to go through mediation or arbitration, you have to go this route. If you do not, the judge can toss your action out of court and then you will be out all that money you spent to file the action. If you have the option of arbitration OR mediation, you probably want to choose arbitration. This is because an arbitrator's decision is binding where what happens at the mediation is not. As this person has obviously breached his contract, you are certainly entitled to damages. This is actually good news for you because even though you could have sued for your court costs and legal fees from this person, you will not have to expend that money up front in order to be compensated through arbitration. You'll have to look at the contract carefully to determine what your options are.

_______________________________________________________________________

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner. Thank you.

LADYLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience: Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Mediation and Arbitration
This is what the contract actually states"in the event a dispute arises out of connection with this agreement, the parties will attempt to resolve the dispute through friendly consultation (we've already tried this)

If the dispute is not resolved within a reasonable periodthen any or all outstanding issues may be submitted to mediation in accordance with any statutory rules of mediation.If mediation is not sucessful in resolving the entire dispute or is unavailable, any outstanding issues will be submitted to final and binding arbitration in accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia. The arbitrator's award will be final , and judgement may be enter upon it by any court having jurisdiction within Virginia. (Who is the mediator in this instance? and would the arbritrator be a neutral lawyer? and would this be all at my expense?

Okay, thank you for the accept and the additional information. I will be happy to help you further.

According to the terms of your contract, you would have to try mediation first. The two of you can choose your mediator by mutual decision. A mediator is a neutral party and most of the time, they are attorneys. The fairest thing to do would be to split the cost of the mediation between the two of you, even though the reason you are there in the first place is because of the other party's breach. Of course, you do not have to agree to this, but you may get farther if you do. You will have to discuss the terms of payment with the mediator. Each one has their own policies and they all charge different prices. If you are in York County, you can find a list of court certified mediators here: http://webdev.courts.state.va.us/cgi-bin/mediation/search.cgi/g?circuit=Circuit9.

Of course, there is always the possibility that the breaching party will not voluntarily go to mediation or arbitration. In that case, court is your only option. What will happen in that scenario is that the judge will enter a court order forcing the two of you back to either mediation or arbitration. If this happens, you will want to ask for the court costs you had to pay in order to go before the judge to get this ruling. If the breaching party still will not go to arbitration, he can be held in contempt of court and you may be awarded the amount of your claim by default. Make sure that before you go before the judge, if you have to, you send the breaching party a certified letter saying that you are going to take the case to court if he will not agree to mediation or arbitration. That way, you will have proof that it was the breaching party's fault that you had to go to court in the first place.

LADYLAWYER, Lawyer