LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

my car was impounded do to expired tags ... can i have the

my car was impounded do to expired tags ... can i have the vehicle towed out of impound
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just AnswerTM. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you. To assist in providing you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points:

1. What is your jurisdiction (state)?
  2. Is your vehicle being held in a police impound lot or a private two company lot?

Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

santa barbara, California

Already Tried:
my vehicle was impounded due to expired tags ... the tags where over a year expired ...so it may take me longer to get registered since i have to go through the "vehicle registration financial responsibility program" through the state ... mailing all my documents a three day process then fee payment another three days so you see my situation .. lol totally my fault but what can i do ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the sate is california and the impound lot is a private one "stored" at smitty's towing

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

1. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information. Thank you very much for taking the time to write back and supply the additional clarifying information, which was helpful to my analysis of your issue.
  2. I hate to sound discouraging, but unfortunately California is a "tough" state when it comes to vehicle impounds. Under California Vehicle Code §22651(o) a vehicle on city streets with an expired registration more than six months and one day can be impounded. The only way it will be released is when you are able to furnish proof of current registration. There is no way around this; I wish I had better news, but that is the truth of the matter.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.