Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations

I had an attorney contact me regarding a debt I owe. I paid

I had an attorney contact me regarding a debt I owe. I paid some on the debt when he called. He has given me only until Monday Morning to come up with the balance. I was told they will file against me at that time if I don't have the balance in full. Is there anything I can do to postpone this?
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer- Other than filing for protection in bankruptcy court there is nothing you can do legally to stop them from filing a suit. My experience has been that these are more threats than fact and that a suit is not usually filed when they say it will be but, of course, I cannot guarantee that.

All you can do is to try to continue to make payments and if a suit is file you have the right to defend it. The creditor has a right not to accept payments unless they have agreed to do so since this is a private contractual situation.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law