Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

A Yamaha dealership sold on consignment our Motorcycle in early

A Yamaha dealership sold on consignment our Motorcycle in early September and had 20 days to pay us. Wrote a check post dated for 10/31/08 for the amount (during this period, dealership was sold). Check is bad; insufficient funds. Do we have any legal recourse in CA?   Original title was not signed off on and no power of attorney was authorized.
You can sue the owners of the dealership for the money, you can also try to file charges for fraud, but they would likely tell you this is a civil matter. Your recourse is against the owner of the dealership for breach of contract and fraud. You should also call the Attorney General's office and file a complaint of fraud and call the DA for issuing bad checks. As far as recovering the bike, if the buyer purchased in good faith you will not be able to recover it.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

This does not create any attorney-client relationship. Additionally, this is being provided for informational and instructional purposes only and does not constitute the practice of law in any jurisdiction.