Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Practing General Attorney,

I purchased a used 1985 Weekender travel trailer for $1200.00

I purchased a used 1985 Weekender travel trailer for $1200.00 on a payment schedule. I gave the seller a $400.00 down payment in August, in Sept. I paid 250.00, in Oct. I paid $200.00. That leaves me a balance of $350.00. On Sept. 23, 2008 the current owner of said trailer gave me an amendment stating that each payment cannot exceed $200.00. I had no idea that an amendment could be added to the original contract without me knowing anything about said amendment. Is this amendment add on legal or not?
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 7 years ago.
No, an amendment can not normally be added to a final original contract unless the original contract states that it can be amended unilaterally (by one side). So read your original contract and if it doesn't authorize amendments then that new amendment is not part of the deal and you can reject it by sending a letter to the seller saying you do not accept the amendment and hold the final original contract to be all the terms.