Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

My son just turned 17. He and 2 others, ages 17 and 20 were

My son just turned 17. He and 2 others, ages 17 and 20 were in my son's car. The 20 yr old was driving and had been drinking, there was alcohol in the back, the other 17 yr old was drinking and had a marijuana pipe in his pocket. The police took the 2 others in to the police station, but let an officer follow my son home because he was not drinking. My son was charged with minor in possession and his license is suspended for 3 mo. Is this something that can be dropped? I had the police officer who brought followed my son home give my son a breatholizer for my own satisfaction and it was 0.00. I am in Washington Co., Arkansas.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Since he was not drinking you can challenge this and argue that he was not drinking and the court is likely to dismiss, but this is technically "constructive possession" meaning he was in the car and had the access to the alcohol. I strongly urge you to get an attorney and fight the charge and the administrative license hearing.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

This does not create any attorney-client relationship. Additionally, this is being provided for informational and instructional purposes only and does not constitute the practice of law in any jurisdiction.