Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

My 14 year old child was admitted, by no choice of my own,

My 14 year old child was admitted, by no choice of my own, to a treatment center for depression 2 days ago. What are my rights as a legal parent to have her discharged?
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.
Who admitted her? What circumstances surrounding the admission? Are you permitted to see her? Is she being held against her will?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
School counselors suggested she see outside counselor as she had indicated to them that she had tried or thought about committing suicide about 2 months ago. We made appt with counselor who suggested we take her to local hospital to see a doctor to diagnose her. When we got there someone from C.A.R.E or C.A.B.S showed up and said she needed to be taken to a treatment center. No doctor had actually even seen my daughter. The hospital drew blood, I'm assuming for drug/alcohol screening, but even before those results came back they took her. I stated that I didn't think she needed to go there and my daughter also said she did not want to go there but they talked me into having her go there. They took her by private ambulance to the center and admitted her. I even stated while signing these papers that I was doing this against my will. This was all last Thursday evening. Now I have been trying to get my daughter released since Friday and no one has told me about anything other than they cannot release her for atleast a week. No one will tell my why other than the therapist was off this weekend and wouldn't be able to talk to her until Monday. How can anyone hold my 14 year old daughter against both her and my will??
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

A person can be held against the person's will if there is a reason to believe the person could be an imminent danger to herself or others.

I suspect that your daughter did not fully meet the guideline of an imminent danger but the counselors were concerned enough to not want to release her. This may be why they convinced you to sign her in.

Now that you have signed her in, the hospital apparently cannot release her until they determine that she is not a danger to herself or others.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLAandNYLAWYER

Please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonus and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE