Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

hello, I know someone who gave away a winnign monopoly piece

hello, I know someone who gave away a winnign monopoly piece this year of 2008, I wanted to know if she should get a lawyer or get anything back since the person seems to have decieved here or took advantage of her not knowing it was the winning boardwalk piece, or for the one million dollars. I emailed the lady to find this out, and was quite disturbed someone would rip someone off who didn't know better.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
If she gave it as a manual donation, then it is unlikely she will be able to recover it. The only way to succeed is to prove he defrauded her out of the piece in which case it could be theft by fraud.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

This does not create any attorney-client relationship. Additionally, this is being provided for informational and instructional purposes only and does not constitute the practice of law in any jurisdiction.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she didn't know though that it was the one in a million piece it was a regular boardwalk piece but there's supposed to be only 1 in print each year and she didn't know that, and someone took advtange of that. So why isn't it persueable or possible to. it wasn't an instant win piece, but the giver had no idea it was worth anything, till the rceiever cashed it in.
Just because she did not know is not compensible. If the other party deceived her and told her it was not worth anything, then she could have a claim. But the fact she gave it away because she did not realize its value and the other person did but did not tell her, it is her loss and there is no legal basis to reclaim it or any portion thereof.